Monday, July 20, 2009

What I Learned

I'm grading essays for my literature class. Still? Again? Tough to tell sometimes.

I always find literature papers intriguing. Sometimes, the students take on challenging texts and do amazing things with them. Other times, they tackle poems or stories that seem to have been thoroughly mined already, yet they come up with a new, different, unique perspective.

And then there are the students who provide valuable non-literary insights in their essays. Such as the following statement, the opening sentence to an essay about Tennyson's "Ulysses": "Even old, wrinkly people can have dreams and aspirations."

I have so much to look forward to. At least, I hope it's still looking forward. I need to look in a mirror.

1 comment:

Connie said...

It's hard to resist this one, so I won't even try. Bob and I are old, wrinkly people (so MUCH older and more wrinkly than you) who have always loved that poem and continued to have dreams and aspirations. (Sheilah, not at all old or wrinkly, selected it for my scrapbook of poems-to-bring-to-the-retirement-party, so in that context it's been on my mind more than ever these days.)

A recent aspiration was to sing with the OSU Summer Choir, which began rehearsals tonight. So there we were, on yet another college campus, surrounded by singers young and old, doing something we love and bonding with our new community.

At break, I found this wonderful piece of graffiti in the womens' restroom of the OSU music building: "If music be the food of love, ROCK ON."

As an old, wrinkly person who dreams, and aspires to things, and occasionally rocks on, I advise you to keep looking forward, since it's the only possible direction. Really. Even for the young and not-wrinkly.