Friday, July 3, 2009

Inappropriately Funny

When I drove home from work on Monday, I noticed that, during the day, while I was at work, posters and billboards for the movie Orphan had popped up all over town. It's as if the movie studio is trying to blanket the town in publicity for this film. Now I'm not saying that this is a bad movie. I haven't seen it yet, so how could I judge it? However, it bears a remarkable resemblance to the old movie The Bad Seed from the 1950s, only with a dark-haired girl this time and she's an orphan this time around (hence, the title, I suppose). I first saw the trailer for Orphan a week or so ago, and I have to admit that I laughed out loud at how ludicrous the trailer makes the movie look. Why do I suspect that the choker around her neck is somehow the key?

And the tagline? "There's something wrong with Esther." Of course, there is. But there's also something wrong with the studios who make movies this silly and the audiences who spend good money to watch such claptrap. Oy.

Enjoy.

No comments: