Thursday, December 25, 2008

Yes I Did


I did manage to take the Christmas tree out of the box this year and display it. (I have two of them, actually, but that seemed to be overkill.) You probably can't see the details here, but the ornaments are all characters from Gone with the Wind. No, I didn't buy them for myself. My mother buys me at least one new Gone with the Wind ornament (sometimes more) and at least two Peanuts ornaments from Hallmark each year. I don't really know why she thinks I am so enamored of Gone with the Wind, but they are well-made ornaments and it's Christmas so why not? Perhaps next year it will be a Peanuts-themed tree. (Yes, I know why she buys the Peanuts ornaments. When I was younger, I loved Peanuts, particularly Linus. I always felt a certain affinity with him.) My ex used to get Marilyn Monroe ornaments each year because he or I once mentioned in the vicinity of my mother that one of his favorite movies was How to Marry a Millionaire. She does sometimes latch on to the oddest comments to remember. By the way, she asked this morning if I had put up the tree and then she wanted to know if I used the Gone with the Wind ornaments. The tree itself is only about four feet tall. It's one of those with the lights already on it. (The other tree-in-a-box has multicolored lights, for the record.) I know an artificial tree isn't "green," but I figure if I do keep using it, that is better than tossing a living tree each year. I can't really plant one, living on the fifth floor of an apartment tower as I do. I may keep this one up for a couple of days more. Then it's back to the box for another year. However, I did want everyone to know that despite my usual Scrooge tendencies, I was somewhat in a holiday mood this week.

No comments: