Saturday, December 6, 2008

Overheard

While I was in the Los Angeles airport on Thanksgiving Day, waiting to start my long journey to Alabama, I happened to sit next to an older couple with their grandchildren. The grandmother was busy keeping track of the kids while the grandfather was on the phone. Normally, I try not to overhear phone conversations involving strangers, but some people just talk so loudly that you can't avoid it. And, somewhat surprisingly, there weren't a lot of open seats in the airport that day.

I don't know to whom he was talking, but the grandfather was asking about the recent elections. He was trying to discern the other person's voting pattern, I guess. So he finally just asked, "Well, who did you wind up voting for?" The other person was apparently an Obama supporter. Hearing this, the grandfather replied, "Well, I could never vote for a Democrat. Not with me being Christian and all."

Is this where our country is today? There are people who really believe that Christianity and the Democratic Party are in conflict? Is it any wonder that I'm still worried about the future of the United States?

2 comments:

Me said...

Sometimes I think of the kind of campaign that Jesus would run, and I wonder if any self-proclaimed Christian would vote for him. Hmmm, live a life of poverty, share all wealth equally, if someone wants to hurt you, let yourself be hurt, forgive others when they wrong you -- indefinitely!, love and take care of all others around you, regardless of any prejudice you might have, and treat children and women, especially prostitutes, with love and respect. Oh, and when your best friend betrays you, befriend him again and give him a huge position in your cabinet.

It is ridiculous to think that a man in charge of running the US, a business man, is appointed by God. We are all too human, too fragile, to keep making this assumption.

But you know -- I think a movie where Jesus runs for president sounds pretty funny. Well, ironic, anyway. I suppose they already went down this kind of road with Life of Bryan, but a new one, made in a kind of serious manner, could be brilliant!

Nadine said...

If it's any consolation, the Italians were as thrilled about the election's outcome as we liberals were. They see Obama as a ray of hope in the current global turmoil. Some of them stayed up all night to watch the election results come in, and his picture was on every newspaper's front page the next day. He's kind of a "world president."