Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A New Administration

Apparently, the ability to see Russia from one's home state qualifies a person to be the next Vice President of the United States. With that frame of reference, the Stephanie Miller Show this morning asked people to determine future cabinet posts and other appointments based upon what they can see. There were lots of good, funny answers, but some of my friends felt like contributing to a new administration in ways that draw upon our experiences as well. We just want to help.

My friend C is building a home on an island in Washington State. From that location, she can see Canada. She's a shoo-in for the head of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, don't you think? I mean, she's already fluent in Canadian and everything.

My friend S ordered seafood paella the other night when we out to dinner. I think that qualifies him to be the head of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services. I doubt he's ever had a mooseburger, but he's pretty open to trying new stuff. I would say he's "game" for a challenge, but that's pushing a bad pun too far, isn't it?

My friend N is spending the semester teaching in Italy, so technically, I guess she's already the ambassador to that country. But with such vast international experience, she's an obvious pick to be the new Secretary of State.

My student facilitator this year has watched TV and, when he still had a truck, often listened to music on the radio. Sounds like a good fit for the head of the FCC.

I myself own a pair of camouflage shorts. In fact, they are clearly visible on top of the dresser in my bedroom. I'm thinking I must be ready to be either the Secretary of the Army or, better still, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Are we as a country seriously going to accept these kinds of answers as legitimate? Aren't we going to question the qualifications of someone who thinks that mere proximity counts as experience and/or knowledge? Especially if the nonsense keeps getting repeated as if it were a significant accomplishment? Look, I live in Southern California. I'm not all that far from the border with Mexico; I've even been to Tijuana a couple of times, and I've drunk my fair share of tequila. However, I would never try to pass myself off as some sort of international expert on, say, immigration policy. And I would expect that someone would point that out as fraudulent if I did.

2 comments:

Me said...

There is no such thing as fairly sharing tequila. At least not when Blythe and I are present.

I wanted to share that I saw McCain's wife on The View the other morning, and upon being asked why she recently visited Georgia she begged the audience to understand that Russia is the "bad guy" in this conflict, and she said, with the utmost concern -- "women and children are dying."

Apparently, there have been no innocent women or children killed in Iraq, or Afghanistan. That is such a relief.

Plus, she looks like skeleton. Not a hot one, either.

Anonymous said...

I am ready to assume my ambassadorial duties immediately. I can also order panini and coffee in Italian, which makes me fluent in the language. I addition, I take blood pressure medication and an occasional sleep aid, which obviously qualifies me to head the Food and Drug Administration.