Sunday, September 28, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like...

This afternoon I went to the Westside Pavillion to see The Duchess (more on that later, perhaps). It's playing at the Landmark Theaters, and they've become one of my favorite venues, what with the reserved seating and all.

On my way to the movie theater, however, I happened to walk through the Macy's store. On display, already, were Christmas items. Yes, dishes and such with poinsettias and other holiday motifs. And some striped peppermint candy. Christmas stuff. Already.

Today is September 28. That's almost three full months before Christmas. Why are we already thinking about this holiday? We still have Halloween and Thanksgiving (and Veterans Day) before us, and I'm not even concentrating on them yet. Is the economy in such dire straits that the stores are pinning their hopes on Christmas even earlier this year?

Is anyone ready for Christmas shopping? It's been 90+ degrees many days this past week. The sun has been blazing down. We're supposed to be thinking of snow and Christmas trees? I guess I'll have to start listening to "White Christmas" even earlier than usual.

No comments: