Friday, March 13, 2009

Another Short Story about Another Student

It's been quite a week for student stories. This one isn't quite as funny as the first, perhaps, but I think it is indicative of a certain "type" of student out there.

On Thursday, I had to give a make-up exam to a student. He would definitely fall under the "fourth time's the charm" rule since he's missed every chance so far to take this exam. He injured himself the day before the test, and he had to hobble around on crutches for a few weeks. Each time he said he'd come by during office hours, he never made it. He told me last week that he would show up that Thursday, but the young lady who was assisting him with carrying his books that day apparently "distracted" (his word) him when they went to lunch together.

So I put him at a table out in the hallway and let him work. Near the end of my office hour, a student stopped by to have me look at her rough draft. Again. This is actually the third time I've talked to her about her paper. She should be in ESL classes, not regular English classes, because her comprehension is very limited. She's only been in the U.S. a couple of years and would definitely benefit from having the more specific guidance that the ESL program offers. However, she won't switch, and I expect that she will keep needing to see her teachers as she progresses through the sequence.

Anyway, after she and I talked, she apparently went out to the hallway and sat down at the table to write down what she could remember of what I said. She started to talking to the guy who was taking his test, and he actually wound up asking her for her number. Not only did he get it (both home and cell), he also got her e-mail address.

Now, I ask you, how many guys do you know who can manage to score a girl's phone number while trying to take an American literature exam? That's got to be a rare fellow indeed.

No comments: