Sunday, February 22, 2009

Random Blond Highlights

I get my hair cut every three weeks. It needs to be kept short so that it's not quite as obvious how much of it I'm losing (and it seems to be gaining in speed these days). I've been going to the same stylist for eight years now, and he does a good job. He's also very funny, and that's one of the reasons I keep going back to him.

On Friday, I noticed he was doing some very precise cutting. Just a careful snip here and there, all of it after he had finished much of his work. I asked him what he was cutting so carefully, and he told me they were "random blond highlights."

I have no blond hair, just for the record. What he was saying, in his own delicate way, was that he was trying to make my increasing number of gray hairs less visible. This is a service he provides to several of his customers, all of us "men of a certain age."

I don't mind having gray hair, to be honest. I'm actually looking forward to all of it turning gray at some point. However, until them, I'm going to refer to my gray hairs as "random blond highlights," at least until they overtake the dark brown hair.

No comments: