Saturday, January 17, 2009

'Tis No Longer the Season

I've finally taken down the Christmas cards. I started taping the cards I receive each year to the back of the front door of my apartment. When I get home at the end of the day during the holiday season, it's always nice to have that visual reminder that there are people who care about me, at least enough to send a card with good wishes for the upcoming year.

Today, though, I took them down finally. It's been too long, I know, since Christmas ended. We've already started back to school. It's past the middle of January. I'm still seeing a few Christmas trees abandoned by the sides of the streets, and someone took out the tree from an apartment on this floor just this past week. (I know this because the hallway was littered with needles for two days until someone from the maintenance crew finally cleaned it up.) But the holiday season is definitely over by now. The Valentine's Day merchandise has been out for a couple of weeks, and Easter stuff can't be far behind.

I don't know why I've been holding on to the cards for this long. Taking them down is not time-consuming, and I'm not feeling particularly sad at the passing of another Christmas. I tend to treat is as just another day anyhow. Perhaps it's just knowing that there's another eleven months or so now before we start to have that sense that we should tell people that we care about them. I'm not the most overly sentimental guy, but I do feel that we should be more forthcoming about our emotions sometimes. Too many of our friends and family members never get to hear how much we care for them. Or, if they do, it's only at Christmastime.

I don't really make New Year's resolutions. I never have. But if I were to think about one way that I might change in 2009, it would be to let the people I care about know that more frequently. So if you're reading this, know that the next time I see you in person, you just might get a hug. You've been warned.

No comments: