Monday, October 29, 2007

No More Wagonmaster

When I was growing up in Mississippi, we had several country music-themed TV shows that we watched every week: Hee Haw (did you miss the part where I said I was growing up in Mississippi?), Live from the Grand Ole Opry, and the Porter Wagoner Show. Porter's passing was announced today, and almost all of the obituaries mentioned him as being the man who "discovered" Dolly Parton. I certainly remember watching Dolly on the show each week--she was a marvel to behold even then--but Porter deserves some attention in his own right. He was a masterful songwriter and a gifted singer. I had the privilege of seeing him perform live at the Grand Ole Opry several times, and I can also say that he was a remarkable showman. Those suits certainly drew a lot of attention his way, but he had the musical talent to back it up. I can still remember the first time I realized that "The Carroll County Accident" was about adultery; it was quite a shock to the young boy that I was then. And no one ever sang "The Green Green Grass of Home" as well as Porter did, in my opinion. So many of the people I grew up listening to are gone now. Porter's death is just another reminder of the tremendous gift we lose when someone devoted to the craft of music passes away. I'm going to listen to the songs of his that I have downloaded on my iPod and remember fondly those Saturday afternoons in Mississippi when we would all be sitting in the living room of my Grandmother's house watching him sing and talking about what stunning outfit (always with matching sequined boots) he had on that week.

2 comments:

Me said...

Todd and I had the neat experience of seeing Porter Wagoner play live about ten months ago.

We went to the Music Box Theater to see Neko Case, who is probably the best female alt. country act in the country right now, and all of the sudden before Neko takes the stage to perform, she comes out and announces that there is a very special guest ready to take the stage, and Porter Wagoner shuffled out with a backup band that included Billy Bob Thorton on drums. Wagoner was dressed to the nines, and sang beautifully. I didn't know who he was at all, although I recognized some of his songs (Todd knew who he was, and Todd, after all, cherishes a picture of himself seated on a drum kit on the stage at the Grand Ol' Opry when he toured it as a child, and another friend I was with got a little choked up because she used to watch the show as a little girl). After researching him after the show I felt that it was really cool to get to see him perform, and his recent death makes it even more sentimental.

We need to plan to go to Mississippi together. You always knock it, but we loved it there! And you can show us all the cool stuff! (Remember we think chicken fried steak is genuis and love Amish barns. We're easily impressed and even easier to entertain.)

Joe said...

Isn't one supposed to knock one's home? I must have gotten the wrong rule book.

There are many things I do miss about the South and Mississippi, in particular. But there are even more things that I love about California and Los Angeles. At this point, I'm okay with just visiting my home state now and then (although I've not been back in quite a few years at this point).